Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 Tower G5 Workstation (9FR64AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello Team, please help me out here.

I own HP Z2 Tower G5 Workstation, and recently I have purchased Ubit PCIe Wifi and Bluetooth module and installed it to the PCIe slot successfully, however, to make the Bluetooth workable, I have to connect that to a 9 pin USB connector (generally F_USB or J_USB) to the motherboard, unfortunately I am unable to find the 9 pin USB connector on my motherboard.

05M-Stackable-Dual-USB-2.0-A-Type-Female-to-Motherboard-9-Pin-Header-Cable-with-Screw-Panel-Holes.jpg

Is there a workaround to power the Bluetooth module? Or am I missing the USB port for real?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

I cannot find any illustrations of the motherboard in the service manual or elsewhere.

If your PC does not have the optional card reader, you can use the USB connector from that.

The pin block you are looking for may have more than 9 pins.  It will have 13.

xxxxxxx

xx  xxxx

Look for a header labeled 'SD RDR.'

You connect your USB cable to the pins that I bolded.  It may be reversed but you get the idea.

How come you didn't buy a simple M.2 desktop kit and install the Wi-Fi card in the available M.2 Wi-Fi card slot and run the antenna wires to external antennas?

Something like this... the M.2 Wi-Fi slot provides both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.

Amazon.in: Buy REKONG AX210 M.2 NGFF Mini Desktop kit Card WiFi 6E Newest 6GHz BT5.2 Wireless PC Ada...

HP Recommended

@VinodKrishhna,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Simple answer: there isn't a 9-pin USB header on your HP Z2 Tower G5 Workstation.

However, it would be possible to make your Bluetooth work with this $8 adapter cable: https://www.amazon.com/9-Pin-Motherboard-Header-Single-7-8inch/dp/B08Q2TLWGV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=S9STGZJ....

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Try this... worked for me in Edge. It is not a https address... that did not work:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06506661.pdf

Look at component 23 there... looks like a 1x header, not a 2x header. In the QuickSpecs for this box the term used is "Internal I/O:  1 Hi-Speed USB 480Mbps signaling rate port". Should be pretty easu to find now, and sometimes HP has printed some tiny info on the motherboard's surface right next to the headers with added identification. That usually takes a bright flashlight and a magnifying glass to find.

Closeup of 23Closeup of 23

Z2 G4 Tower motherboard.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello Paul, thanks for sharing. After seeing good positive reviews about Ubit module, I thought that would be a better choice even I thought it has a good heat sink. Does it better than M.2?

Honestly, the wifi is fantastic and no issues so far regards to connectivity and speed. Only concern is towards the bluetooth module, currently I am using the TP-link USB module which I am feel comfortable since I want to make use of the Ubit PCIe module.

For my Z2 Tower G5 workstation motherboard, I am not able to find the SD RDR  similar to your diagram 😞  

HP Recommended

Yes @NonSequitur, I searched a lot and did not find the 9 pin USB header.

Do you recommend any other workaround to make the Bluetooth module workable to its best, instead of using USB Adapters?

HP Recommended

Hello SDH,

Thanks for sharing the manual, the one shared is for HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation and mine is G5 workstation and the motherboard seems to be a lot different. And that port header is not available in mine.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the false alarm... I searched google for Z2 Tower G5 motherboard and did not notice the HP link was for G4 instead. I'll dig a bit more...

HP Recommended

@VinodKrishhna,

Nope, this 9-pin USB to USB 2.0 adapter is the easiest/cheapest way to make your Ubit Bluetooth work.

NonSequitur777_0-1663007141697.png

Btw, you may want to look at the link's Amazon customer reviews and the pictures they shared how to use this adapter.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your PC was designed to run a M.2 Wi-Fi adapter without any heatsink from the available M.2 WLAN slot.

If your PC had the wireless option from the factory, that is where the M.2 Wi-Fi adapter would have gone.

The only difference is HP would have strategically placed two internal Wi-Fi antenna wires inside the case instead of using external antennas.

You can see this related discussion where this forum member took my advice...

Solved: Re: need a compatible wireless network card/adapter for my Z... - HP Support Community - 847...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.