The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Breast abscess from mastitis... drain or not? (Pics)

Hi all,

I’ve had a plugged duct for nearly 3 weeks now that’s been treated as mastitis the last two weeks but the antibiotics aren’t helping. My OB is offering to drain it but I don’t know if I should just give the antibiotics more time or have her drain it?? What would you guys do? It is so painful.

I’ve had

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
23 Comments
Oldest First
w
washwash

Have her drain it. Fastest way to get the infection out and back to normal. Even if the antibiotics were to help, it will take quite some time to go back to normal. It looks super painful!! Good luck. I had a plugged duct but luckily I just constantly pumped and nursed on that side and it went away before it got too bad

laudo9

Do you wear a bra while at home?

m
mamaoaj
@laudo9,

yes, I pretty much have worn a nursing bra 24/7 since having my son (13 weeks pp) because otherwise I would leak everywhere

laudo9
@mamaoaj,

I see! Yeah leaking is super uncomfortable,I mean, wet t-shirt contest?? As long as you’re let your nipples air out and dry completely before putting a bra back on that might help? I had leaky breasts sporadically too but after experiencing some clogged ducts, I felt like leaking was the lesser evil. Just a preventative measure, my Romanian friend mentioned applying frozen cabbages on my breast after feeding.

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice for mastitis though. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Clogged ducts are painful as is ☹️

KLK13

I would drain it. I was treated for mastitis a few weeks ago but was also advised to take sunflower lecithin daily - it has helped tremendously. Good luck!

m
mamaoaj
@KLK13,

thanks, I’ve been taking sunflower Lecithin even before this clog and it’s the most stubborn clog in the WORLD and now has developed into this painful blob... it’s been so frustrating.

S
SpecialDelivery212
@KLK13,

yep! The sunflower lecithin has helped so much! I take two pills daily.

Dannygirl758

Omg that looks so painful! I get clogged ducts a lot and having the baby nurse on that side wasn’t cutting it so I started getting my husband to suck them out when I get them and it works every time. He does it more carefully and forcefully than the baby does, he’s my saving grace

O
Oviella99113

don't wear a bra for the next few days. you want it to leak. you want it to all come out to fight the infection. take a warm shower and massage it out as much as it's possible considering the pain. when baby latches, the chin of the baby should be where the closed duct is. then after baby fed cool with cabbage leave. then repeat, before every feed shower to improve flow of the milk. I did that together with antibiotics and the infection went away. however, I think you should notice an improvement within a day otherwise I would also drain it. also I took inbuprofen.

M
MamaBear96321

Definitely drain it. Antibiotics usually show improvement in the first 48-72 hours

j
jessretz1

If your antibiotics didn’t work yet, you should drain it. I had to get my clog drained a month ago after the antibiotics didn’t work and all the other things I tried. Just so you know doctor recommended that I pump and dump on that boob until it was healed which took about 3 weeks. Also after it was drained my husband had to pack the boob with shoe lace gauze everyday so it would heal from the inside. Not a fun experience but so worth it just to have the lump gone and no potential for it to get worse.

c
camara16
@jessretz1,

couple questions for you! I just had my procedure done a few hours ago. Did you have any stinging pain or other pain after the procedure when the numbing wore off? And did you notice any hard lumps surrounding the area of the drainage site while pumping?

I have both and just want to make sure I stay on top of this so it doesn’t get worse!

S
Siarhys

Get it drained - you are beyond antibiotics and natural remedies unfortunately. I’ve had it done - it’s not bad and you’ll feel so much better right after! 

edenalice33

OMG that looks painful. I would get it drained if I were you. Feel better!

l
livystelly

get it drained for sure